Who can the Energy Assistance Program (EAP) help?

Who can the Energy Assistance Program (EAP) help?

If you live in Victoria and if as a result of COVID-19, you have worked or are working from home, and your energy bills have gone up we want to provide you with some advice tailored especially for you and your circumstances. This is a free service to help you.

You are eligible if you meet any of these criteria:

  • receiving JobSeeker or JobKeeper

  • have experienced hardship due to COVID-19 

  • are eligible for an energy concession  

  • have a chronic health condition or disability*  

  • having trouble paying or understanding your energy bills 

  • receiving a Commonwealth Home Support Package (level 1 to 4).

If you’re not sure if you are eligible, one of our dedicated Energy Advisors can help assess your eligibility.
If in Victoria, take the person's details and create EAP registration.

When giving energy efficiency advice to those who can't afford much, the recommendation is to:

      Be positive and helpful: people do not wish to feel judged or deprived.
      Interventions should come from a positively-framed perspective to show how you can help.
      Be mindful that you're not simply giving people another thing to worry about.

Please Note: there is a suggested language when speaking to people who may be struggling (i.e. if living on Struggle Street).

Most people try NOT to be classified as hardship customers and may resent being termed vulnerable. Please avoid terms like hardship-customer; vulnerable; special-needs customer; handicapped; disabled; differently-abled.

*Suggested Questions:

Are there any special needs or requirements that you want our Energy Advisors to be aware of?

I am asking so we can improve our understanding of your circumstances and our communication.

Do you, or anyone residing in the household, have a disability relating to vision, hearing or mobility?

Explain that a:
  1. Participant with a vision impairment, may require larger font
  1. Participant with mobility issues and may require longer time to answer the phone or the front door
  1. Participant with a hearing impairment may require the help of family member or Auslan interpreter

Avoid ableist language
People may not intend to be hurtful when they unknowingly use an ableist term, but it will hurt people anyway. Ableist language harms people with disability, and using these terms shows that people with disability aren’t valued. Every effort should be taken to avoid the use of ableist language and if it is used in error, it should be corrected and an apology made.

Consent Questions for EAP

(1) mandatory * We provide information in good faith. This should be treated as a guide only and does not constitute financial advice. Do you consent to receiving assistance?

(2) optional. The Brotherhood of St Laurence and the program partners store data to provide assistance and report to our funders. Your data will be treated as confidential and only shared with our direct partners for the purpose of providing this service. Do you consent to us storing your data?

(3) optional. A third party will be evaluating the program on behalf of the Victorian Government. Are you happy for us to share your personal details with the evaluator to provide feedback?