Once installation is completed, how long will it take for my system to be connected into the grid?
The grid connection process is often a paperwork-heavy one, with multiple parties involved and varies by state. A glitch in the paperwork process can cost valuable time, not to mention the frustration it can create.
- VIC – to connect to grid will need CES and from February 1, 2019, your retailer will need to arrange to change over the meter on a date agreed upon with you, where no date is set this must be within 15 business days if it is a simple meter exchange and once this is done you will be connected.
- WA - After the system is installed and the meter changed or reprogrammed, the solar power system can be connected to the network by the installer. A Notice of Completion must be submitted to Western Power by the electrical contractor within 3 days of the system being connected.
- QLD - Within 5 days of the system being installed, your solar installer is required to lodge a completed EWR, the retailer will raise a request for meter installation, usually within a couple of days of receipt of the form and Meter installation should be carried out within 10 working days for Energex customers, but in reality it may take up to a month or more.
- TAS – After certificate received time-frames for meter changeovers at this point aren’t clear, however Aurora says “we endeavour to have meter exchanges completed around 15 business days from processing”.
- ACT – After installation the meter can be installed then your electricity retailer will make changes to your electricity plan so you can receive the solar feed in tariff.
- SA - Your energy retailer will arrange with their own sub-contractors to install your electricity meter. This used to take 4-6 weeks but varied depending on the retailer. However, under recent changes, the retailer must provide a meter installation for a new connection or perform a simple meter exchange by a date agreed on with you. In the absence of any agreement, the retailer is required to complete a simple meter exchange within 15 business days, or within 6 business days for a new connection.
- NSW - your installer MUST complete a Certificate of Compliance – Electrical Work (CCEW) and hand it over to you prior to leaving the site. If the installer cannot provide you with one on the day, be sure to chase it up after a day or so. Without this, your meters cannot be changed over. Your retailer will then issue the job to their choice of Metering Coordinators (the people who do the actual meter changeover). They will normally contact you via phone, letter or email to notify you of when the planned meter changeover will take place.