Is it worth replacing my existing system with a brand new one or just extending the existing system?
This will depend on why you want to upgrade:
- Underperforming system - If this is the case, contact your original installer. If your system is still under warranty, then you should not need to pay for a replacement.
- The solar system is performing well but you want to increase its size - If your current system’s inverter has the capacity to add more panels and your roof has the space to cater for additional panels, this will be your best option to increase your generated energy. This will cost less than if you were to upgrade your inverter or install an additional solar system.
- If your current inverter is at its capacity and cannot add additional panels your two options are to:
- Upgrade the inverter and add more panels
- Install an additional solar power system
- The solar system is performing well, you have excess energy and want to add battery storage - Adding a battery to your system will allow you to store any excess energy generated from your system, for you to use when your system is not generating energy (when the suns not out). For a battery to be useful and store excess power your current solar system must be generating more energy than you are consuming daily.