How long have PV panels been around for?
• The photovoltaic effect was first discovered in 1839 by French scientist Edmond Becquerel.
• The first practical silicon solar cell was produced in 1954 by Bell Labs.
• Solar power has been around since the 1960s, but it was in the early 2000s that the industry kicked off in Australia, thanks to the introduction of the renewable energy target.
Would I get more long-term savings from solar PV or solar hot water?
• Research has found that the most economical way for households to heat water is by using standard solar panels hooked up to an electric hot water system. • The research, by Queensland PV company Ecoelectric, finds that solar hot water specific ...
I have a lot of birds (& wildlife) around my house, will the solar panels injure them?
• The presence of PV panels on a roof—whether on a house, office building, or other structure—doesn’t disrupt wildlife habitat and takes advantage of already-built space.
Are solar panels worth it?
Yes – for most households. Electricity bills can be expected to reduce by 30-60%. Bill savings and time to recoup investment cost depends on the proportion of power used during the day when your solar panels are generating free electricity. Shifting ...
Is it better for me to get solar PV or solar hot water?
• Research has found that the most economical way for households to heat water is by using standard solar PV panels hooked up to an electric hot water system. • The research, by Queensland PV company Ecoelectric, finds that solar hot water specific ...
How long do panels last for?
• Solar Panels should come with a 10+ year product warranty – this should cover you from panel defects, premature wear and tear, and manufacturing issues. Some premium brands come with up to 25 years of product warranty. • Solar Panels should also ...