Here are tips for finding draughts in the house:
• Check for rattling or whistling around doors and windows.
• Shut a door or window on a $5 note. If you can pull the note out without it dragging, you’re losing energy.
• Feel for moving air around doors, windows, electrical and plumbing outlets, fireplaces, vents, exhaust fans, floorboards, architraves, cornices, skirting boards and other areas.
• On a windy day move a burning incense stick or mozzie coil around suspected draught areas to see if the smoke moves. If it does you have an air leak.
• Check for potential gaps from outside at night when the lights are on inside. If you can see light shining through you need to take action.
• Get a professional to conduct an air-leakage analysis (also known as a blower door test) on your house.