How do I buy an efficient appliance?
Appliances can account for around 30% of home energy use, so choosing the most energy-efficient appliance can bring big savings. The Equipment Energy Efficiency (E3) Program focuses on a range of products to increase their energy efficiency, save money on bills and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
When choosing an appliance, consider:
• the best size and power for your needs
• the cost of running the appliance compared to other models
• the most energy and water-efficient model
• It’s worth paying extra for a more energy-efficient model as it will cost less to run.
How do I know how efficient my RCAC is ? Should I leave my RCAC on or turn it off?
1. Check the split system model. Example: split system model. Make sure it has an inverter technology. 2. Calculate the energy input by dividing the cooling capacity (rated) by its EER, and its heating capacity (rated) by its COP. 3. To know the ...
What rebates, discounts and loans are available for energy efficient appliances?
No interest loan scheme - The No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS) offers individuals and families on low incomes access to safe, fair and affordable loans for purchasing appliances and some other essential household expenses. NILS is offered by more than ...
How do I know how much an appliance costs to run?
Electrical appliances are rated in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). For example, a 100W globe left running for 10 hours would use 1 kWh (kilowatt-hour) of electricity. 1kWh costs around 30 cents, so the cost is 1 x $0.3 = 30 cents A 1 kW-rated portable ...
What blinds are energy efficient?
• Heavy drapes that have a thick outer material, have a lining, touch the floor, have no gaps around the edges and have pelmets, are the most energy efficient. • Honeycomb blinds (also known as cellular blinds) are an energy efficient option. These ...
What is the Co-efficient of Performance (COP)?
COP is a measure of the efficiency of a hot water heat pump or a refrigerator. By definition, COP is the ratio of the energy usage of a device compared with the heat or cold it produces. You can find the COP score of a particular heat pump model on ...