How do I buy an efficient appliance?
Appliances can account for around 30% of home energy use, so choosing the most energy-efficient appliance can bring big savings. The Equipment Energy Efficiency (E3) Program focuses on a range of products to increase their energy efficiency, save money on bills and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
When choosing an appliance, consider:
• the best size and power for your needs
• the cost of running the appliance compared to other models
• the most energy and water-efficient model
• It’s worth paying extra for a more energy-efficient model as it will cost less to run.
What rebates, discounts and loans are available for energy efficient appliances?
No interest loan scheme - The No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS) offers individuals and families on low incomes access to safe, fair and affordable loans for purchasing appliances and some other essential household expenses. NILS is offered by more than ...
How do I know how much an appliance costs to run?
Electrical appliances are rated in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). For example, a 100W globe left running for 10 hours would use 1 kWh of electricity, while a 1 kW-rated portable heater switched on for 5 hours would use 5 kWh of energy.
What blinds are energy efficient?
• Honeycomb blinds (also known as cellular blinds) are an energy efficient option. • These blinds are so effective because each ‘honeycomb’ in the blind traps still air ((like insulation). Because air is such a good insulator, this means less heat ...
What curtains are energy efficient?
• Curtains (often called heavy drapes) that are thick, have a lining, touch the floor, have no gaps around the edges and have pelmets are the most energy efficient. • Without a pelmet, hot air rises to the top of the curtain, touches the cold glass ...
Where can I buy window film from?
Window film is available from most hardware stores such as Bunnings to buy. There are specialist suppliers who have an installation service.