Disconnecting from the gas supply

Disconnecting from the gas supply

Please not that the following has been confirmed by the Essential Services Commission of Victoria, who overseas the electricity and gas retailers:

Fully removing your gas meter does incur a $875 fee, however, you can just disconnect via your gas supplier without paying any charges. When disconnecting you will need to request a final meter read and cap of meter to your retailer before closing your account. You are likely to continue receiving mail asking you to connect your gas but these can be ignored. 

    • Related Articles

    • What is the daily supply charge on my energy bill?

      Your daily supply charge is the fixed rate you get charged each day for being connected to the grid. Any energy usage is additional to this charge.   For example, if your daily supply charge was 90c per day, and you used $5.00 worth of energy, your ...
    • Should I get off gas?

      Mostly yes. Many Australians are disconnecting their homes from the gas grid so that they never receive another gas bill and save hundreds of dollars per year in fixed supply charges alone (can be $250 per yr). How much you save by going-off gas will ...
    • Can you explain my energy charges?

      Electricity is measured in a unit of power called a watt. 1,000 watts is equivalent to 1 kilowatt (kW). Your electricity charge on your bill is in cents per kilowatt hour (c/kWh).   Check the second page of your bill for the c/kWh tariffs.   Gas is ...
    • What concessions can be applied to my bill? (Victorian customers)

      Annual Electricity Concession    Applied to: Domestic mains electricity usage and service costs    How Much? 17.5% of electricity usage and service costs. Does not apply to the fist $171.60 of annual bill. Other Comments: If you have a very high ...
    • What does megajoule stand for?

      MJ stands for megajoule. A property’s gas usage is measured in megajoules and is recorded using a gas meter.   Tip: Electricity is measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh).